Tuesday 1 April 2014

Middle earth

The eerie voice
Drifts from snowy caverns
Drips from dangerous distant stalactites
And I rise from a strange sleep, to follow the soulless melody

Syringes and hard boiled plastic deck the land
Copper wires lay discarded on the ice
Still throbbing mildly with oxidised blood
Keeping tune with the dead beats of decaying hearts, the angst of chalkboard scraping

I am gripped by a steel addiction, an unidentified affliction  
Harsh white light aims needles of oblivion at my phantom cerebrum
A visual monitor that is carved into a blade shows me vaguely familiar images
A surge of fire is stifled, destined not to burn

It’s going to be a long winter
Monkeys covered in wire wool clamber to warm me
Their eyes are like granite
Inert, impressive

Terror grips me, icicles pierce my chest
I run for warmth on a floor polished with my plasma
Run for release to a dark beach
Of mercury seas

Deserted waves weep tinsel onto shingle
Shingle tingles
As a spectral resident attempts to immolate herself, unsuccessfully
A lethargic rage echoes through the expanse

In the midst of all this is evident the sound of slow, hollow breathing
My eyes are pulled to a bench of daggers on which sits a thin man
A mane of iron filings shimmer down his back
And he waves his arms as if in a trance

He conducts a mass of black energy into a flaming peephole
White energy, he puffs up into vast space
The grey energy- the one that is like dust but glitters in sunlight, the one that resembles me
He keeps, locked in the middle earth


No comments:

Post a Comment